Friday, December 16, 2011

Down Syndrome

In 1991, my cousin Kyle was born.  His parents discovered that he had Down Syndrome after his birth.  I remember my family having a sullenness after discovering the news.  I remember thinking "why is everyone so sad?  It's not like it's some horrible disease and he's been given days to live".  Eventually attitudes changed. The family began to openly discuss it and stopped treating the situation as if he had been born with three heads (although if he had, I would have felt horrible for my aunt...just the thought of birthing a three-headed baby makes my vag ache!). I remember spending the summer with my aunt and Kyle. I would go with her to his therapies at Delaware Curative. When I would babysit, he and I would work on his home exercise programs. I became fascinated with his development, even though I had no comparison.  I knew what a delay was, but I didn't make the connection to compare him to other babies his age to determine his delay (and just for the record, that is COMPLETELY the wrong way to determine if your child is delayed!!  Every child develops differently, disability or no disability).  I adored Kyle. I loved his features, his characteristics. I was in awe of that little boy. I was so in love with Down Syndrome that I based my 10th grade biology research paper on the chromosomal abnormality.  It was during this time in my life that I officially knew what I wanted to be when I grew up...a therapist that worked with kids!
     Fast forward MANY years...I'm still madly in love with my cousin Kyle. He always brings a smile to my face.  He is the reason I'm an Occupational Therapy Assistant. He is the reason I worked with kids with disabilities and developmental delays. Since the day I first met him, I have been- for lack of a better word- obsessed with those with Down Syndrome.  Often staring at anyone I see with those distinct features;  just wanting to run up & hug them, get to know them and hear their story.  
     I love everything about them. I love their short stature and short fingers & toes. I love their fair porcelain skin and the occasional mottling. I love their light fluffy hair (kinda reminds me of cotton candy, which I also obsess over!). I love when they smile and their tongue protrudes just a little bit farther out of their narrow mouths. I love the extra skin on the back of their necks and their pudgy, wide feet.  I love that due to the low tone they have a very similar way of holding their hands and arms and that when they become excited, they shake their hands as if they're waving. I love their almond shaped eyes and the flat bridge of their noses.  Seriously?  That is quite possibly my favorite part!  I love their tiny ears and their round bellies. I love that when they're tired their lower jaw juts forward. I love how warm, social and caring they are.  I love the way they rest their hands on your face, ever so gently, and gaze into your eyes.   What I love most??  That God blessed my youngest daughter, Natalie, with her very own extra 21st chromosome.  Trisomy 21 is a beautiful thing!

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Shawn! Just like you and your beautiful family! So glad I know you! You are an amazing advocate and mommy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete