Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Few New Things...

Ben and I are wrapping up our 5 night vacation in NC. Our trip started by visiting friends that have recently moved to NC from DE. It was fantastic to see them again and enjoy their company. I found it funny that the few days leading up to our trip, I was a frazzled mommy who was itching to get away from my girls (don't take that the wrong way...I adore my girls. I pour my heart and soul into them on a daily basis, often neglecting my own needs). As we arrived at Billy & Lindsay's, I naturally gravitated towards their little boy, Kellen. I was sick of my mommy duties, yet I instantly got down to enjoy playtime and reading with Kellen. Oddly it was the same for the dogs, sick of my own pups, yet I happily loved on Nikki & Lucy! Which reminds me, I meant to wash those clothes once we arrived at the cottage in hopes of destroying all evidence and avoid the awkward sniff down of our bags while receiving evil stares from our four legged children.
After our fantastic visit with our friends in Pittsboro, it was time to move on to Harker's Island, NC for 4 days of relaxation and sight seeing. When we 1st arrived at the cottage I wanted to cry. I was just tired from being in the car and needed to satiate my OCD with my typical ritual of unpacking, making our bed and getting settled/organized. Once those we were sharing the cottage with parted ways and headed out on their own adventure, Ben and I had some FaceTime action with our girls. I love the invention of video chat! We loved being able to see our girls at the drop of a hat. Now, there is a downside to video chatting, in someways it felt as if we never left.
Our days consisted of sleeping in, chilling on our private beach, reading magazines, surfing the internet and celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary!! One night while Ben and I were out, we decided to stop at an ABC Liquor Store. Seeing as we are "from the north", we forgot that you can buy beer and wine at the grocery store. I wish we could have reviewed the security cameras to see our faces when we realized our mistake! Ha! And the two old ladies behind the counter got a kick out of our stupidity too. The following day, the Cottage Crew and I were out on the beach discussing details of the wedding, I realized that Ben's suit would be over kill for the more casual wedding venue. Luckily, I had packed one of Ben's favorite button down dress shirts. It's a cool, linen-y type of shirt that I thought would look good with his jeans should we want to dine on the water one night. Who knew that shirt would be the basis for a whole new ensemble for him to wear to the wedding! Seeing as the nearest town to the Island we were staying on was 30mins away, we quickly showered and headed over to Beaufort. Let me explain something...the seafood festival was in town during the same time as our stay. This is a BIG event for the area we were in. Businesses were shutting down early so they could attend. I knew the only store that would be our saving grace was a Rose's department store. I knew what to expect of this "store", unfortunately Ben did not. I had to laugh! He was such a trooper, going into the dirty unisex fitting room to try on $12 slacks. They fit him perfectly! I even found a pair of flats so I didn't have to wear my heels to the reception in the grass under the tent. A pair of shoes, men's dockers slacks and a shaw came to $26...score!
Fast forward to the following evening and it was time for the wedding, the entire event that sparked this vacation. It was beautiful, very much reminded me of our wedding...it was nice to have a trip down memory lane. The people down here are a different breed from those of us "up north". They are so mellow and kind. Sadly, Just as I was getting cozy and found myself getting the hang of the laid back lifestyle, it was time to pack our bags and begin our 8 hour drive home.
I met some amazing people the evening of October 1st. I learned a few new things about my new friends, a few new things about life and a few new things about myself...
Slow down & Enjoy life my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment